Allan’s Mills
History

©Jeri Danyleyko
The end of the Napoleonic wars left many of Scotland’s craftsmen in a near state of ruin. With little work available and vastly reduced wages, many felt they could improve their lot by immigrating to Canada. The British government was only too happy to oblige.
Groups known as the Lanark Societies provided administration and assistance. Their purpose was to attract settlers to locate in and around the village of Perth, which at that time was a military settlement. The Scotch Line, which started just southwest of Perth, got its name from the large number of Scottish immigrants that settled around the area.
The Scotch Line bordered the former townships of Bathurst and North Burgess. Nearby Grant’s Creek flowed directly into the Tay River, which provided more than ample water power resources. It didn’t take long for the countryside to become dotted with grist and sawmills. There was more than ample business from the local farmers and the burgeoning lumber industry to keep the mills humming.
William Allan was the son of one the early Scottish immigrants. Born in Ontario in 1833, he purchased a large piece of land just south of the Scotch Line and built a sawmill and a stone grist mill. He then added a grocery and dry goods store, along with a blacksmith shop. Just north of the shops, he built a beautiful, stately home to raise his growing family. Allan’s Mills gained official status in 1872 when he opened a post office. As busy as he was, Allan also found time to become active in local affairs and served as both a councillor and township treasurer.
A small townsite popped up around William Allan’s mills that included Pat Fagan, a wagon maker, Ed Murphy, a shoemaker and William Steele, a carpenter. Henry Harper and George Murphy worked as blacksmiths as did, for a time, William’s son, James. Many of the surrounding mill owners, such as George Oliver, T. and J. Scott and George Ritchie, also chose to make Allan’s Mills their home. The school was located on the Scotch Line and shared by all the surrounding settlements. Other prominent residents included John Armour, who owned a large plot just south of Allan’s Mills. The number of villagers ranged from about 50 to 75.
George Oliver owned the first parcel of land just behind the Allan mills, where he also operated a grist mill. John Ritchie’s sawmill was located north of the Scotch Line on Concession 1, Lot 12, along the Tay River in Bathurst Township. The Scott brothers’ sawmill was located in North Burgess Township on lot 17, five lots west of Allan’s Mills. Their grist mill was located on Concession 1. At the foot of road, right at the Scotch Line leading to the mill was a tollgate, blacksmith and cheese factory. Just to the west of the Scott grist mill on Lot 15, were the Wilson saw and grist mills.
By the late 1890s things were beginning to slip. Both the wheat and timber supplies had become depleted. In order to survive, farmers had to transition gradually from wheat to dairy farming. This was not good news for the mill owners. Many of the mills did not survive the upheaval.
The Wilson mills and the Scott sawmill have both disappeared. The Bowes family purchased the Scott grist mill and renamed it Bowes Mills. As the market continued to change, it found new use as an electrical power plant. The plant provided power to the town of Perth until the 1920s. Although the mill is in great condition, the old dam shows major deterioration. The Ritchie sawmill still exists but is derelict and in a serious state of disrepair. The McCabe mill, which is located across the road, is now a private home. Oliver’s Mill is another of the many mills that managed to survive the carnage and now serves as a barn.
By 1892, William Allan sold the grist mill to the Burgess Milling Company. They reportedly kept it going until the 1970s. Allan continued operating the store until his death in 1908. His son James took over the post office until the arrival of rural mail delivery in 1914. Allan’s stately, stone grist mill was by far the most fortunate. A number of the buildings in Allan’s Mills also survived the demolition crews. Besides the mill, these include the general store, blacksmith and William Allen’s magnificent home. All remain in use. The schoolhouse is also a fortunate survivor. It is located next to the Scotch Line Cemetery, who own and make use of the building.
The area, which is located about 10 kilometres west of the historic town of Perth, remains busy and active and continues to support a large rural population.
Thanks to Robert Thomas for sharing the information on the schoolhouse.